multi color

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Messenger Hacking

September 5, 2009 / around 10:00 pm - I was busy doing a website in my computer at home. I was online in YM but my status was invisible to everyone. Suddenly, I received a message in YM from my cousin who's in UK, so I thought it was. The YM id was my cousin's but I know she uses a new id. Her opening line was, "favor naman, importante lang" (favor please, this is important). So I asked what is it. She asked me if I could buy her cellphone prepaid cards. According to her, she can't reach her supplier here in the Philippines. She would pay me the next day.

Hhhmmm...this doesn't sound like my cousin. First of all, everytime she would start a chat with me, her opening line is, "Hi, cuz". Plus, she's doing well in UK so she doesn't need to have a sideline selling prepaid cards which is just small time. And I can't figure out, why she would sell prepaid cards applicable only in the Philippines in UK?

I got suspected and a bit nervous that time. I told her that I'm a bit hesitant with the idea. I asked her if she really is my cousin. Her reply was, "Yes, it is me. What's wrong with you? Do you not trust me? I will not fool you." Again, this doesn't sound like my cousin. I asked her for proof that she really is my cousin. Then she replied, "If you don't trust me and can't help me, that's ok". I even apologized but I still insist for proof. I asked her if I can view her in webcam. She said her soundcard is not working. Huh?? I told her, your cam will still work even if you don't have soundcard. No reply. I asked again for proof. I asked for the name of her parents, my parents and my siblings' name. She didn't respond.

I decided to open my facebook account. I sent a message to my cousin in UK and I told her about the incident. It's a good thing that she immediately saw my message to her. She confirmed that it's indeed not her. I went back to YM, I told the impostor that I already talked to the real owner of the id. Then she/he suddenly signed off from YM.

I learned that one of my cousins also here in the Philippines, almost got victimized. I advised my cousin, the owner of the ym id, to inform all her friends listed in that account about the incident and not to fall for the trap.

A similar incident happened to one of my officemates. Someone used her msn account and started cursing and saying rude messages to one of our officemates. I
f you ever experience the same, make sure to verify first if she/he is indeed that owner of the id.

No comments:

Post a Comment